skip navigation

2020 Season Update-April 6, 2020

By HHMBA, 04/06/20, 1:30PM EDT

Share

An update on the 2020 season from the Executive

Hello HHMBA families,

We hope that this email finds you all well.  Yesterday, the HHMBA Executive met via teleconference to discuss our plans for the upcoming season for our players and teams.  

For our families involved in our House League program, we have made a decision to ​delay the start date and ending date for our teams. ​The Town of Halton Hills has closed all facilities, including diamonds, until June 22nd.  Our plan at at this point is to begin the season Monday July 6 and run the program through until September. ​Unfortunately, this means we will have to cancel our early June House League tournament and will have our playoffs after Labour Day weekend.  By making this move, we​ should still be able to offer our house league players a full season on the diamonds.  Our scheduler, Natalie, is working with the Town of Halton Hills to secure our new permits and to create a skeleton schedule, so we will be able to update our important dates on our website.

For teams involved in our Travel programs, we are awaiting direction from our governing bodies at COBA and OBA.  As soon as we ​have an idea of what the plan is for travel baseball in Ontario, we will forward that information to you and our coaches.  The last update that we had from OBA is that they are committed to seeing our players on the field at some point this season and that they have given latitude to extend the season past Labour Day Weekend.  ​We do know that given all diamonds in Halton Hills are closed until June 22nd, travel ball will also not likely start until after this date.

Finally, as Halton Hills Minor Baseball is a non-profit organization, our over-riding principal is always to balance registration fees with costs incurred so we can "break-even" each year.  There are some baseball costs that vary with number of games played and there are some costs that are fixed for the season well in advance.  We are taking all possible steps to defer costs at this point until we have absolute clarity around the start date for the season.   Once we know the start date and duration of the season, we will endeavour to balance fees with that reality.    In the unlikley event that the season is cancelled in its entirety, we will offer reimbursement of our variable costs to any players that have registered to this point.  Please keep in mind that we are not able to offer any reimbursement until we definitively determine the start date and duration for the season.

Thank-you for your understanding and support.  Until we meet again on the ball diamonds, please keep your family and loved ones safe and healthy!